In my school days I heard about this idly from my friend and even I tasted it in her house. My mom also tried to make this twice at our home but it never tasted that delicious. After I started cooking, I tried out with various combination and finally got one recipe that turned out to be so good but still not sure this is what the combination that my friend's mom used.
1. Raw Rice - 1 Cup
2. Idly Rice - 1 Cup
3. Urad Dhal - 1 Cup
4. Moong Dhal - 1/4 Cup(dry roast in a pan till golden brown)
5. Jaggery - 3/4 Cup(grated)
6. Nuts (Badam,Cashew,pista,etc..) - 1/4 Cup(fried in ghee)
7. Coconut - 1/2 Cup(grated)
8. Cardamom - 8
9. Ghee - 1/4 Cup
10. Salt - 1 tsp
1. Wash and soak raw rice and idly rice together for about 3 hours.
2. Wash and soak urad dhal for an hour before you start grinding.
3. After 3 hours, grind them separately by adding enough water but the final batter should be thick.Take care while adding water.
4. Rice should be ground to coarse consistency.
5. Add salt and mix well.
6. Allow the contents to ferment for about 8 hours.
7. Make the jaggery to a thick syrup by adding little water.(Filter it before use)
8. Take the fermented batter and add fried cashews, dry roasted moong dhal, cardamom, jaggery syrup and grated coconut.
9. Grease the idly plates with ghee and pour the batter. Cook for about 10 minutes.
10. Once the cooking is done, take out the plates and allow it to cool down a bit and then take the idly.
11. Delicious sweet idlies are ready now and no side dish is needed for this.