Ingredients Needed for Paruppu Urundai:
1. Thoor Dhal - 1 Cup (soak for 1/2 hr)
2. Onion - 1/2 Cup (Chopped)
3. Garlic - 10 Cloves (Chopped)
4. Coconut - 1/4 Cup (Chopped pieces)
5. Red Chilly - 3
6. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
7. Curry Leaf - A few
8. Salt - 1/4 tsp
Procedure to prepare Urundai:
1. Grind thoor dhal (without water) with red chilly and salt.
2. To the ground thoor dhal, add the chopped onion, garlic, coconut and curry leaf.
3. Mix well and make the balls (Urundais) out of the ground dhal.
4. Steam cook them in oil greased idly plates.
5. Keep aside once the cooking is done.
Ingredients Needed for Kuzhambu:
1. Tamarind - Lemon sized (Soak for 30 min and extract juice)
2. Sambar Thool - 3 tbs
3. Onion - 1/4 Cup (Chopped)
4. Coconut - 3 tsp (grated)
5. Poppy Seeds - 2 tsp (soaked for 20 min)
6. Salt - Needed qty
7. Urad dhal - 1 tsp
8. Mustard - 1 tsp
9. Oil - 2 tbs
10. Curry leaf - Small qty
Procedure to prepare Kuzhambu:
1. Heat oil in a pan, pop mustard and then add urad dhal.
2. Then add onion and fry till golden brown.
3. Add the extracted tamarind juice.
4. Add salt and keep the flame in medium for 15 minutes.
5. Close the pan with lid.
6. Now, grind the poppy seeds and coconut in a mixer to paste.
7. Add this to the contents in the pan.
8. When the contents are getting thickened add the lentil balls.
9. Garnish with curry leaf.
10. Serve hot over cooked rice.
Note: You can also fry and add venkaya vadagam (seasoning vadam). This gives good flavour to the kuzhambu.
You may be interested in :