Have you ever tried a fry with chayote? I've neither tried nor thought about it until I saw this recipe in Geetha Achal's Blog. She is a wonderful blogger and she blogs in Tamil. You can get lots of healthy recipes from her blog. The moment I saw this recipe, I bookmarked it because my hubby is one among those people who hate potato. Geetha used chilly powder and turmeric powder in her recipe. But, I replaced these two ingredients with sambar powder. Also, I added oats to the fry which was not actually in the original recipe. Here, I should mention that I got inspired from Priya to use oats in my dishes.
1. Chayote - 1 (Peeled and cut in to pieces)
2. Oats - 4 tsp (Dry roasted and powdered)
3. Sambar Powder - 2 tsp or adjust to your taste
4. Mustard - 1 tsp
5. Oil - 4 tsp or little more
6. Salt - Needed qty
7. Curry Leaf - A few
1. Heat oil in a pan, add mustard. Once it get popped add the cut chayote.
2. Now, add salt and sambar powder.
3. Mix well. Medium the flame.
4. With occasional stirring, wait till the chayote get cooked and roasted.
5. Add the powdered oats. Mix well.
6. Switch off the stove, add the curry leaf.
7. Serve as a side dish to sambar rice, rasam, yogurt rice etc..
Note : While chayote cooks, don't cover the pan with lid and another important thing, don't add water.
This goes to Nupur's "Blog Bites # 3 : Adaptation".