I used whole wheat bread for this mixed fruits & bread halwa. It tasted so great than the usual fruit halwa. Try this and you'l love it.
1. Mixed Fruits (Cut in to pieces) - 1 Cup (I used apple, pear, plum, mango & jack fruit)
2. Whole Wheat Bread - 4 (Remove corners and slightly toast in dosa pan with little ghee. No deep frying in ghee needed)
3. Dates - 2 (Chopped Finely)
4. Cashew - 6 (Finely broken)
5. Sugar - 1/2 Cup or adjust to your taste
6. Ghee - 4 tsp or little more than that.
7. Honey - 4 tsp (This gave very nice flavour) (Optional)
1. Grind the mixed fruits to a fine paste.(Don't add water)
2. In a pan, add 2 tsp of ghee and then add this paste. Stir well and medium the flame.
3. Stir continously so that it won't stick to the pan. After 5 minutes, add the sugar.
4. Mix well and keep stirring for another 5 minutes.
5. Now, soak the bread pieces in water. Squeeze out the water and then add the bread to the cooking contents.
6. Mix well. Stir continously.
7. Add the chopped dates and broken cashew.(I used raw cashews)
8. Keep stirring till the mixture gets thickened. Finally, add honey and 2 tsp of ghee.
9. Serve hot or chilled.
Note : If you want to make pieces, you have to keep the mixture for few more minutes in the stove with continous stirring till that doesn't stick to the sides of the pan.Now, grease a plate with ghee and then tranfer the mixture. wait till they became warm. Cut in to desired shape and take out from the plate when cooled.
Who tried this recipe?