I'm very happy to post my 200th post today. Thank you Friends for your constant support. Without your encouragement, I couldn't have come so far. Enjoy this Poha&Dates Payasam.... I will come with the recipe later.
Thanks to all of you for participating in "Guess Game". Most of you had guessed everything correct and among the answers I got Suhaina, Kiran & Nitha guessed almost everything correct. Umm was the only person who guessed that, it would be an event announcement. For all the four of you, I've awards :-) Congrats Friends...
On this special day, I'm announcing my second event. After the successful completion of the first event, in these couple of months I selected many themes but I was not satisfied with anything. Finally, when I decided to announce an event again with fruits, Priya Mitharwal announced an event which was very much similar to what I thought. Then my husband gave me the idea for Green Theme. Before, I announce that I saw Preeti's announcement. Again I had to drop the idea. So, not much of delay, I'm announcing "Best Out Of Waste" event today. This is also an unusual theme like earlier event "Think Beyond the Usual with Fruits" but I know that my friends are very innovative and soon they would fill my inbox with their innovative dishes. Now straight to the theme.
Although we are aware that vegetable and fruit peels are rich in nutrients we peel and throw them to bin. Most of the vegetable or fruit peels are not edible as such. But they have high nutrient content as well medicinal value. So, we should definitely consume them in any form. In general peels are rich in fibre and most of the fruit peels have antioxidant in them.
Then there are vegetables that usually come with leaves for example, Radhish. I never used radhish leaves until I learnt the health benefits associated with it. Another example I can give is Beet leaves...Think of other vegetables like this and come up with your innovative dishes.These leaves would taste bitter but they are needed for better health...atleast let us start to utilize them from now..
Pumpkin, squash and melon seeds are in general edible. They too have lot of health benefits. For example, as per a study conducted by Department of Food Science and Technology in Iran, the cantaloupe seed have good source of phosphorous, potassium, and sodium.
Similarly, we have the habit of discarding stalk. For example, consider beet stalk. Most of us throw away the beet stalk and only a few people use them in food. Think of other vegetables like this where we can use the stalk in cooking and get benefitted.
I think, I've outlined what I exactly want for the event. Please keep the theme "Best out of waste" in your mind before you prepare the dish.
I made that bouquet with apple, pear, lemon, pumpkin peels, mint stalk(none of you guessed this!) and tender cilantro leaves (I know, this is not a waste but just used as a leaves for bouquet) I'm proud to say, that bouquet made out of waste is going to be my event's logo.
Now, to the rules...
1. The first and foremost rule is, no dishes from the leftover food. What I mean by the word WASTE is peels, seeds, stalk, leaves of few veggie which we normally throw away, etc..(Please understand that this is not a leftover event)
2. You can send me any dish made out of waste but I want only vegetarian dishes (No eggs too).
3. You can use fruit as well vegetable wastes to create your innovative dishes.
4. Link your post with this event announcement.
5. Old entries are accepted if they are reposted with the link to this event announcement page.
6. No limit to number of entries.
7. Use of Logo is compulsory.(I hope you would give me little credit by posting this logo)
8. A winner will be awarded with a small gift but I've not yet decided the method of selection. My family, relatives and personal friends will not be eligible for the prize. Thanks to my husband for sponsoring the prize :-)
9. Send your entries to email@example.com with the subject line "Best Out Of Waste" and with the following details.
Your Name :
Your Blog Name :
Recipe Name :
URL of the recipe :
Category (Soup/Curry/Chutney, etc..) :
Picture of your recipe :
Your Location :
10. Non-bloggers send your entries to above mentioned mail id and subject line with the following details.
Your Name :
Recipe Name :
Recipe Picture :
Your Location :
11. The event ends on July 5, 2010. Late entries will not be entertained.
12. I'l acknowledge your entry as soon as I receive them. If I don't reply you for more than couple of days, please do mail me or leave a comment here.
Hope everyone is clear with the theme. Still you have doubts you know where to reach me...Waiting for your entries...