I should admit that, this is the very first time I cooked barley. Though aware about the health benefits of Barley, somehow it was not introduced in to our regular cooking. I got this recipe from Geetha Achal's Blog. I made very minor changes to her recipe. She is another health conscious person like Kiran. You can find many healthy dishes in her blog. Thanks to Kiran for this wonderful healthy event.
1. Barley - 1 Cup
2. Green Gram - 1/2 Cup
3. Pepper - 1 tsp
4. Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp
5. Ginger - 1 inch pieces (Crushed)
6. Green Chilly - 2 (Slit Vertically)
7. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
8. Curry leaf - A Few
9. Oil - 1/2 tbs
1. Pressure cook barley, green gram dhal ,asafoetida and salt with atleast 4.5 Cups of water.
2. Allow atleast 6 whistle. Open mash well.
3. Then in a pan, heat oil. Add pepper, curry leaf, ginger and green chilly. Fry well.
4. Add this to cooked barley and green gram dhal mixture. Mix well.
5. Serve hot with little ghee (optional) on top and coconut chutney.