The first time I tasted this podi in one of our relatives place. When I asked them for the recipe, they said, it was store bought. But, it was like a home made stuff and I loved it. When we left, they gave me a pack of this podi. After we finished that pack, I prepared the podi at home and it turned out good.
1. Pavarkaai / Bitter Gourd - 2
2. Yogurt - 1 tbs
3. Red Chilly - 2 or adjust to your taste
4. Cumin Seeds - 3/4 tsp
5. Coriander Seeds - 1/4 tsp
6. Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
7. Channa Dhal - 1/2 tsp
8. Tamarind - Small qty
9. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
10. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
11. Mustard - 1 tsp
12. Oil - 1/2 tbs
13. Salt - Needed Qty
1. Wash, dry and grate the bitter gourds. (While grating, remove the seeds).
2. Squeeze the bitter gourd well. Spread it on a paper towel and leave it as such for 10 minutes.
3. Now, mix it with a table spoon of yogurt. Keep aside for 30 minutes. Then, squeeze well and keep aside.
4. Meanwhile, dry roast urad dhal, channa dhal, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, tamarind and red chilly. Transfer to mixer jar and let it cool.
5. Grind to a fine powder. Keep aside.
6. In a pan, add oil and splutter mustard. Add asafoetida and fry for a second.
7. Now, add the bitter gourd, turmeric powder and salt. Keep frying in low heat for about 15 minutes.
8. Add the ground powder and mix thoroughly. Keep it on a low flame for few minutes.
9. Cool and transfer to an air-tight container.
10. Serve over the hot rice with a dollop of ghee.