Idiyappam (String Hoppers)is a specialty main course breakfast dish for Tamil Nadu and Kerala. Idiyappam is also called as sevai, noolappam or noolputtu. Idiyappam can be served with Coconut Milk, Vegetable Kurma or Coconut Milk Stew. Idiyappam can also be flavoured with coconut, lemon, sesame etc.Idiyappam, in general is made out of rice flour but it can also be prepared in a healthy way with Ragi flour.
Ellu or Sesame or Gingelly is rich in Calcium, Magnesium, Iron, Zinc and dietary fiber. The Sesame has a very unique substances called Sesamin and Sesamolin. These two help in reducing the cholesterol level.
Ellu Idiyappam is a delicious and healthy dish. To prepare Ellu idiyappam, first you have to prepare Ellu Podi (Sesame Spice Mix). Once you prepare the podi, you can easily mix it with idiyappam. Podi can also be enjoyed with rice. Ellu podi can also be prepared in large quantity and stored in air-tight container.
For Ellu Podi / Sesame spice mix :
1. Black Sesame Seeds (Karuppu Ellu) - 1 tbs
2. White Sesame Seeds (Vellai Ellu) - 1/2 tbs
3. Urad Dhal (Ulunthu) - 1 tsp
4. Channa Dhal (Kadala Paruppu) - 1/2 tsp
5. Red Chilly - 2 or 3
6. Salt - Needed Qty
Dry roast all the above ingredients except salt. Dry grind with needed amount of salt. Keep aside.
For Ellu Idiyappam :
1. Broken Idiyappam - 2 Cups (Frozen or Fresh). Click here for cooking procedure.
2. Ellu Podi
3. Sesame Seeds oil/Gingelly Oil/Nallennai - 1 tbs
1. Mix all the above ingredients together.
2. If needed seasonw with mustard, urad dhal and curry leaves.
3. Serve with coconut chutney.
You may be interested in :