Puli Saaru or Vengaya Rasam is a two-in-one dish. This can either be served as rasam with white rice or as side-dish with any upma. This rasam can be prepared without rasam powder and can be done in few minutes.
1. Tamarind Juice - 1/4 Cup
2. Water-3/4 cup
3. Onions - 1/2 Cup (Finely Chopped)
4. Turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
6. Red chilly - 1
7. Green Chilly - 1
8. Curry leaves - A few
9. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
10. Oil - Needed qty
11. Salt - Needed qty
1. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard.
2. Add asafoetida, red chilly, green chilly and curry leaves. Fry for few minutes.
3. Now add, onion and saute till it turns golden brown.
4. Add tamarind juice, water, salt and let the contents boil.
5. Serve with white rice or upma.