Ganesh Chaturthi, or Vinayakar Chaturthi, is the birthday of Lord Ganesha, the God of wisdom, prosperity and auspiciousness. Ganesha is today worshipped around the world and the Elephant-faced Hindu god is one of the most popular deities associated with Hinduism.Ganesh Chaturthi falls on the fourth day after new moon in the Hindu month of Bhadrapada (August - September).(Source:http://www.hindu-blog.com/2008/08/vinayaka-chaturthi-ganesh-puja-festival.html)
Varieties of Kozhukattai(Dumplings) are offered to Lord Ganesh on Ganesh Chaturthi day. This Ellu/Sesame Kozhukattai is one of his favourite Kozhukattais and it is necessary that it should be offered to him on this special day. Wish you all a very Happy Ganesh Chaturthi. May Lord Ganesha shower all his blessing on you:-)
For the Stuffing :
1. Sesame (Black) – 1/4 Cup
2. Jaggery – 1/4 Cup (Grated)
3. Cardamom Powder – 1/2 tsp
4. Salt - 1/4 tsp
For the Covering :
1. Dry roast sesame and let it cool.
2. In a small mixer jar, take roasted sesame, jaggery, cardamom powder and salt.
3. Run the mixer once for few seconds.
4. Don't run more than once, the stuffing should be coasely powdered.
5. Once the stuffing is ready, combine rice flour, 2 tsp of oil,salt and hot water in a large bowl.
6. Knead well and make a soft dough.
7. Grease your palms with oil. Take little amount of dough and make a ball.
8. Now, press it with your fingers gently to flatten the ball and then make a cup shape.
9. Place one spoonful of filling.
10. Now, bring one edge towards the other,and paste both the edges together so that the shape resembles a semi circle.
11. Grease idly plates with oil and place the kozhukattai.
12. Steam cook for 5 to 10 minutes.
13. Serve hot or at room temperature.