Upma kozhukattai is a traditional South Indian breakfast or dinner dish. This is a steam cooked savoury balls prepared with rice and dhal and flavoured with pepper and cumin.
1. Raw Rice - 1/2 Cup
2. Parboiled Rice - 1/2 Cup
3. Thoor Dhal - 1/4 Cup
4. Coconut - 1/4 Cup (Grated)
6. Oil - 2.5 tbs
7. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
8. Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
9. Channa Dhal - 1 tsp
10. Pepper - 1 tsp
11. Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
12. Red Chilly - 3
13. Asafoetida - 1 tsp
14. Salt - Needed qty
15. Curry leaves - A few
1. Wash rice and thoor dhal together.
2. Drain water completely. Keep the wet rice and thoor dhal mixture aside for 45 minutes.
3. Now, coarsely powder the rice and thoor dhal along with pepper and cumin seeds.
4. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard. Add urad and channa dhal. Fry till they turn golden brown.
5. Add curry leaves, red chilly and asafoetida. Fry for a minute.
6. Add about 2.5 cups of water and needed salt.
7. Allow water to boil well.
8. Now, add the coarsely powdered rice and dhal. Stir continously while adding to avaoid lumps.
9. Medium the flame. Close the pan with lid.
10. Cook for about 30 minutes in medium flame.
11. Once cooked, add grated coconut and mix well.
12. Allow the contents to get cooled. Then roll in to medium balls.(If the upma is dry and separates while rolling, add little water)
13. Place in oil greased idly plates.
14. Steam cook in idly cooker for about 5 minutes.
15. Serve hot with coconut chutney and sambar.
You may be interested in :