Ajwain is considered to have many health benefits. Ajwain is generally added in delicacies like roti, paratha, etc to enhance flavour. The primary health benefits of ajwain are, it reduces toothache, beneficial to a sore throat, provides relief from bronchitis as well as asthma, helps get rid of indigestion, prevents flatulence, enhances appetite, etc.. So, it is always good to add ajwain to our diet.
1. Besan (Gram Flour) - 1.5 Cups
2. Rice Flour - 1/2 Cup
3. Omam (ajwain)-1 tbsp
4. Red Chilli Powder - 1 tsp
5. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
6. Butter - 1 tbs
7. Salt - Needed Qty
8. Oil - For Frying
1. Soak omam in warm water for 30 minutes and grind with little water.
2. Strain and keep the water aside.
3. Melt butter. Keep aside.
4. combine all other ingredients (except oil).
5. Add melted butter and strained omam water.
6. Prepare the dough similar to chapathi dough.Sprinkle a little water, if needed.
7. Grease Idiappam presser with oil.
8. Stuff the dough inside the presser.
9. Heat oil and squeeze the dough directly on the oil.
10.Once fried, remove and drain excess oil on kitchen towel.
11. Store in air-tight container.
If you don't like the smell of Omam, you can very well avoid Ajwain/ Omam in the recipe. But it is always good utilize the medicinal value of Omam.