Paruppu Usli is a traditional dish. This protein rich curry is prepared with a blend of lentils, red chilly and vegetable. Usually, usli is prepared with vegetables like beans, snake gourd and carrot.This is a best side dish for rice. Goes very well with sambar sadam and rasam sadam. In few districts of Tamil Nadu people refer Usli as "Puttu".
1. Beans - 1/2 Cup (Chopped)
2. Onion - 1/4 Cup (Chopped)
3. Thoor Dhal - 3/4 Cup
4. Red Chilly - 2
5. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
6. Salt - Needed Qty
7. Curry Leaves - A few
8. Mustard - 1 tsp
9. Oil - 1/2 tbs
10. Coconut - 1/2 tbs (Grated)
2. Soak thoor dhal and red chilly for about 30 minutes.Drain water and grind to coarse consistency with salt and asafoetida.
3. Spread the ground dhal mixture in a oil greased Idly plate and steam cook in idly cooker for about 5 minutes.
4. Cool the steam cooked dhal and then crumble without any lump.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard.Add onion and saute till onion turns golden brown.
6. Add the steam cooked dhal mixture, curry leaves, coconut and cooked beans. Mix the contents well.
7. Medium the flame and cover the pan with lid. Cook for about 10 minutes.
8. Serve with Moor Kuzhambu Sadam and Rasam Sadam.
You may be interested in :