Ennai Kathirikai is a delicious curry that goes good with Sambar sadam, Rasam sadam and Yogurt/Curd rice. This curry is different from "Ennai Kathirikai Kuzhambu". In this recipe, I have used groundnut & Sesame to stuff and spice up the curry. This combo gives a nice aroma and a wonderful taste.
1. Fresh Brinjals - 8
2. Curry Leaves - A few
3. Gingelly Oil - 1.5 tbs
4. Salt - To taste
For Spice powder,
Dry roast and coarsely powder the following ingredients along with salt.
1. Roasted unsalted groundnut - 1.5 tbs
2. Gingelly/Sesame Seeds - 1 tsp
3. Urad Dhal - 1.5 tsp
4. Coconut - 1/2 tbs (Grated)
5. Red Chilly - 3 or adjust to your taste
This spice mix can be prepared in large quantity and stored. This can be either used as a rice mix or accompaniment to idly or dosa.
1. Select small and fresh green or purple brinjals(eggplant).
2. Remove the top and then make a criss-cross cuts.
3. Stuff the spice powder. Keep the remaining powder aside.
4. Now, in a pan add 1 tbs of oil. Gently place the stuffed brinjals. Medium the flame.
6. Now, throw the remaining spice powder on the top of the brinjals.
7. Add remaining oil and turn the brinjals gently. Allow to cook for another few minutes.
8. Switch off the stove. Garnish with curry leaves.
9. Serve as a side-dish to rice or roti.
You may be interested in :
Who tried this recipe?