This type of sambar preparation is famous in Tanjore district of Tamil Nadu. Arachuvitta sambar is also another preparation that is very famous in this region. The recipe for sambar preparation is so simple and easy. Any vegetable can be used. You can also use combination of two or more vegetables.
1. Chayote / Chow-Chow - 1 (Small)
2. Onion - 1/2 Cup (Finely Chopped)
3. Thin tamarind juice - 2 Cups
4. Thoor Dhal - 3/4 Cup (Cooked)
5. Sambar Powder - 2 tsp
6. Salt - Needed qty
7. Mustard - 1 tsp
8. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
9. Oil - 1/2 tbs
10. Coriander - Little Quantity
1. Peel and thinly slice chayote. Keep aside.
2. In a pan, heat oil. Splutter mustard. Add asafoetida.
3. Add onion and chayote. Saute well for few minutes or onion turns golden brown.
4. Now, add tamarind juice, salt and sambar powder. Allow the contents to boil well.
5. Finally add cooked and mashed thoor dhal. Medium the flame.
6. Allow the contents to thicken.
7. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.