This is the best side dish for Poori or Rava Idly. The authentic way to prepare this kizhangu is, the potatoes should be mashed and cooked with onion, tomato and green chilly to a thick consistency. But, here I used potato pieces as well mashed potatoes. Both way it tastes great. This is very simple to prepare.
1. Potatoes – 5 (Medium Sized)
2. Onion - 1 (Chopped Finely)
3. Tomato – 1 (Chopped)
4. Green Chilly - 2 (Cut into pieces) or Adjust to your taste
5. Curry leaves – A few
6. Coriander - 1/4 cup (Finely Chopped)
7. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
8. Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
9. Sambar Powder – 1/2 tsp (Optional)
10. Oil – 1/2 tbs
11. Salt - Needed Qty
1. Pressure cook potatoes. Peel and chop in to pieces. Mash few pieces and keep aside.
2. Take oil in a pan, splutter mustard.
3. Add curry leaves, green chillies and onion. Saute well till the onions turns golden brown.
4. Now, add tomatoes, turmeric powder and sambar powder. Mix the contents together. saute for few minutes.
5. Add about 2 cups of water and salt. Close the pan with a lid. Allow the contents to boil till the raw smell of the turmeric powder is gone.
6. Then add the mashed potatoes and chopped potatoes. Medium the flame. Mix the contents thoroughly.
7. Cook for 10 minutes.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves.