This is a very healthy and delicious dish.
1. Urad Dhal - 1 Cup
2. Red Chilly - 2 or Adjust to your taste
3. Coconut - 2 tbs (Grated)
4. Asafoetida - 1/2 tsp
5. Mustard - 1 tsp
6. Curry Leaves - A Few
7. Gingelly Oil - 1 tbs (+1 tbs extra for greasing idly plates and palm)
8. Salt - Needed Qty
9. Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
1. Rice Flour - 1 Cup
2. Hot water
3. Salt - 1/4 tsp
Boil water with salt and 1 tsp of oil. Add hot water a little by little to the rice flour while kneading. Knead till you get a soft dough. Grease the Idiyappam presser with oil. Stuff the presser with dough and gently press on idly plates and steam cook. Cool and keep aside.
1. Soak urad dhal for atleast 2 hours along with red chilly. Drain water completely.
2. Grind dhal, red chilly, asafoetida and salt together to a coarse consistency.
3. Place the ground mixture on a oil greased idly plates. Steam cook for about 10 minutes. Let the mixture cool.
4. Now, crumble with a spoon. Keep aside.
5. Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard. Add curry leaves and coconut. Fry for few seconds.
6. Transfer the crumbled dhal mixture to the pan. Medium the flame.
7. Combine the ingredients together. Cook for 5-10 minutes.
8. Before you switch off the stove add coconut oil.
9. Once the urad dhal mixture is cooled, add this to the idiyappam. Mix them together. Add a little gingelly oil if the Idiyappam looks dry.
10. Serve warm.