Thank you friends for your wishes on My blog's 3rd Anniversary and 500th Post. Do participate in 3rd Blog Anniversary Event and Giveaway.
Now to the recipe, this Vella Puttu is a very traditional recipe prepared during Navaratri especially for Friday.
1. Rice - 1 Cup
2. Jaggery - 3/4 Cup (Powdered)
3. Salt - 1/4 tsp
4. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Coconut - 3/4 Cup (Grated)
6. Ghee - 1.5 tbs
7. Channa Dhal - 1 tbs (Half cook the channa dhal in a pressure cooker. Drain Water. Keep aside)
8. Cardamom Powder - 1/2 tsp
1. Wash rice. Drain water.
2. Place a clean white cloth (Eg. Dhothi) on a kitchen counter. Spread the drained rice.
3. Let the cloth absorb the mositure. After about 30 minutes, grind the rice coarsely.
4. Dry roast on a low flame till the rice flour turns to light brown in colour.
5. Cool the rice flour. Add turmeric powder and salt to the rice flour. Mix them together.
6. Sprinkle water a little by little till you are able to hold the flour and at the same time it should crumble. (Take care in this step. Excess water will spoil the puttu)
7. Place the flour in idly plates and steam cook for 20 minutes.
8. Meanwhile, dissolve jaggery in a cup of water. Once it get dissolved, strain and bring to boil.
9. Add half cooked channa dhal, coconut and cardamom powder. Let the syrup thicken.
10. Switch off the stove. Let the syrup cool.
11. Now, check the steam cooked rice flour. It should be really soft.
12. Combine jaggery syrup and rice flour together. Add ghee.
13. Serve for evening snack or breakfast.
1. You can simply use the store bought puttu flour to save time.
2. You can garnish the puttu with roasted nuts and raisin.
You may be interested in :