Karthigai Wishes to All the Readers of Nithu's Kitchen. The recipe today is obviously "Sweet Pori / Vella Pori / Karthigai Pori" which is prepared specially during Karthigai for pooja. The recipe is straight from my aunt (Chithi). She prepared the pori for us this time. Thanks to her efforts.
1. Aval Pori / Puffed Rice - 4 cups
2. Jaggery - 1 Cup (Powdered)
3. Fried Gram / Pottukadalai - 3/4 Cup
4. Coconut - 1/2 Cup (Chopped to thin small pieces)
5. Cardamom - 4 Pods (Crushed)
6. Dried Ginger Powder / Sukku Podi - 3/4 tsp
1. Combine Pori and Fried gram. Keep aside.
2. Now, in a pan dry roast coconut pieces till they turn golden brown. Keep aside.
3. Dissolve jaggery in half- a-cup of water and strain to remove dust. Now, add crushed cardamom pods, dried ginger powder and fried coconut pieces. Mix well.
4. Allow the syrup to thicken well.
5. Once the syrup is thick, switch off the stove. (You should be able to make a ball from the syrup and when you throw it on a vessel, it will produce a metallic sound. That is the righ consistency)
6. Take Pori and Fried gram in a dry large vessel. Add syrup little by little while mixing the contents.
7. When the syrup is finished, once combine the contents well.
8. Now, transfer the pori to an air-tight container.
9. You don't have to make it to balls as for Karthigai the pori is supposed to be loose in nature.