Beetroot is one of my favourite vegetables. I love beetroot not only for it's taste but also for it's beautiful colour. I'm happy that My daughter also loves this lovely coloured vegetable. Once in two days, our menu would iclude this vegetable. I have already posted Beetroot Chutney, Beetroot Halwa, Beetroot Kheer and Beetroot Kurma.
I made this beetroot poriyal in a much healthier way by adding Urad Dhal. Beetroot is good for pregnant women as it decreases the risk of neural tube defects in infants. During pregnancy, it is good to eat urad dhal (Black gram). So this beetroot & urad dhal combo helps for a healthy pregnancy. I had this beetroot-ulunthu (Urad Dhal) poriyal every alternate days when I was pregnant.
1. Beetroot - 1 (Medium Sized)
2. Urad Dhal - 1/4 Cup
3. Red Chilly - 2
4. Red Chilly Powder - 1/4 tsp
5. Coconut - 1/2 Cup (Grated)
6. Curry leaves - 1 Sprig
7. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
8. Oil - 2 tsp
9. Salt - Needed Qty
10. Coconut Oil - 1 tsp
1. Soak urad dhal for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
2. Meanwhile, wash and peel beetroot. Chop into very small pieces.
3. Cook beetroot with salt and red chilly powder in a pan.
4. In another pan, splutter mustard. Add chillies & curry leaves. Saute and the add soaked urad dhal and coconut. Mix the contents together. Switch off the stove.
5. Add the coconut & urad dhal mixture to the cooked beetroot. Mix well. Keep in medium heat for few minutes. Before you switch off the stove, add coconut oil.