Ennai Vazhakkai Kuzhambu or Malli Vazhakkai Kuzhambu is a very unique and delicious Kuzhambu. This is my MIL's Signature Dish.
1. Raw Banana / Plantain - 1 (Peeled & Cut in to Rectangular Pieces of 2" length)
2. Tamarind Juice - Squeezed from a Lemon Sized Tamarind Ball
3. Turmeric Powder - 1/4 tsp
4. Asafoetida - A Pinch
5. Gingelly Oil - 1.5 tbs
6. Salt - Needed Qty
7. Jaggery - 1/2 tsp (Powdered)
For Spice Powder :
1. Coriander Seeds - 4 tsp
2. Thoor Dhal - 1 tsp
3. Urad Dhal - 1 tsp
4. Sesame - 1.5 tsp (Black & White Together)
5. Red Chillies - 3 or Adjust to Your Taste
6. Coconut - 4 tsp (Grated)
7. Gingelly Oil - 2 tsp
Heat oil. Throw all the ingredients one by one. Roast them all together in a low flame until dhal and coconut gratings turn golden brown.
To Temper :
1. Gingelly Oil - 2 tsp
2. Mustard - 1 tsp
3. Curry Leaves - A Sprig
Heat oil. Splutter mustard. Throw curry leaves. Switch off the stove.
1. In a pan, heat oil. Add plantain pieces. Medium the flame. Fry well, till the plantain turns crisp.
2. Now, add turmeric powder, asafoetida, salt and tamarind juice. Turn the flame to high. Let the contents boil well.
3. Add the spice powder and jaggery. Stir once.
4. Allow the contents to thicken in medium flame.
5. Pour the tempering. Mix once. Switch off the stove.
6. Serve hot with rice.
You may be interested in :