Baingan Bharta is a simple dish and very easy to prepare. For Baingan Bharta, Brinjal/ Egg plant is roasted directly over the flame, then mashed and cooked with other spice powders. Baingan Bharta can be served with Serve Chapatis or any other Indian bread.
1. Brinjal (Egg Plant) - 1 Large
2. Onion - 1 (Chopped Finely)
3. Tomato - 1 (Chopped Finely)
4. Garlic - 2 Cloves (Chopped Finely)
5. Ginger - 1 tsp (Grated)
6. Green Chilly - 1 (Chopped Finely)
7. Cumin Seeds (Jeera) - 1 tsp
8. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
9. Coriander Powder - 3/4 tsp
10. Cumin Powder - 3/4 tsp
11. Garam Masala - 1 tsp
12. Oil - 1/2 tbs
13. Salt - Needed Qty
14. Coriander Leaves - 1/2 tbs (Finely Chopped)
1. Wash Brinjal and dry with a clean kitchen towel. Now, grease the brinjal with a little oil.
2. With a fork, roughly poke holes in the brinjal.
3. Now, keep the brinjal on the burner. Let the brinjal cook on low flame.
4. Turn the brinjal now and then, so that the brinjal is cooked equally on all the sides. Cook till the skin is totally charred. Check that the inner flesh is soft.
5. Cool and the peel the skin completely. Mash and Keep aside. (You can roughly mash it with a fork or spoon. I used blender and it gave a smooth texture)
6. Now, in a pan heat oil. Add cumin seeds, onion, chilly, garlic and ginger. Saute till the onion turns transparent.
7. Add tomato and continue to saute till tomato turns mushy.
8. Add turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and garam masala. Mix everything together. Continue to saute till raw smell of the spice powders is gone.
9. Add mashed brinjal & salt. Mix well and allow the contents to cook on medium flame for about 5 minutes.
10. Garnish with coriander.
11. Serve hot with any Indian bread.