Ivygourd (Coccinia indica) is known as kovakai in Tamil has lot of health benefits. It is good for diabetic people as it is said to control some enzymes that are actually involved in sugar production. Moreover, in Ayurveda Ivygourd is used for skin allergy and fever. Ivy gourd contains beta-carotene and also it is rich in protein and fiber.
1. Ivy gourd/Kovakkai - 1 Cup (Chopped)
2. Sambar Powder - 1 tsp
3. Coriander powder - 1/2 tsp
4. Turmeric Powder - A Pinch
5. Tamarind Paste - 1/4 tsp
6. Mustard - 1/2 tsp
7. Curry Leaves - A Few
8. Salt - Needed Qty
9. Oil - 2 tsp
1. Wash and chop Ivy gourd / kovakkai into pieces.
2. In a pan heat oil. Splutter mustard. Add curry leaves.
3. Add chopped kovakkai and fry for few minutes in medium flame.
4. Now, add salt, sambar powder and coriander powder. Combine everything together.
5. Saute in medium flame for few minutes. Add tamarind paste and a little water. Mix the contents well.
6. Close the pan with a lid. Allow to cook on medium flame.
7. Serve as a side to any rice.