Paruppu Usli is a traditional dish. Often it is referred as Puttu. This curry is very rich in protein. This is prepared with a blend of lentils, chillies and vegetables like beans,snake gourd and plantain flower. But this time, considering the health benefits of radish, I tried this dish with radish. It turned out to be a most delicious one and everyone at home loved it.
Radish is a very nutritious root vegetable that has got lot of health benefit. It is useful in the treatment of headache, acidity, constipation, nausea, obesity, sore throat and gastric problems. Radish is very rich in Vitamin C, which helps in the prevention of cancer. Radish helps to improve the immune system.
1. Radish - 1.5 Cups (Grated)
2. Toor Dhal - 1/2 Cup
3. Bengal Gram / Channa Dhal - 1/2 Cup
4. Red Chilly - 1 or Adjust to your taste
5. Green Chilly - 1
6. Coconut - 1 tbs (Grated)
7. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
8. Salt - Needed Qty
9. Coconut Oil - 2 tsp
1. Oil - 1/2 tbs
2. Mustard - 1 tsp
3. Curry leaves - A Few
Heat oil in a pan. Splutter mustard. Add curry leaves. Keep aside.
1. Place the grated radish in idly plate. Steam cook for few minutes. Squeeze and keep aside (OR) Saute grated radish on a medium flame till it changes in colour.
2. Wash and soak dhal and red chilly for atleast an hour. Drain water completely.
3. Grind soaked dhal, red chilly, green chilly, asafoetida, coconut and salt to a coarse mixture.(Do not add water while grinding)
4. Place the ground mixture in Idly plates greased with oil and steam cook for about 5 minutes.
5. Cool and then crumble the dhal mixture with hands.
6. In a pan, combine dhal mixture and radish together. Add the seasoning. Mix well. Medium the flame. Cook for 5 minutes.
7. Add coconut oil and mix once. Remove from stove.
8. Serve with any rice.
You may be interested in :