This is a delicious side dish for Upma, Pongal, Idly and Dosa. I often prepare this at home and all my family members love this.
1. Onion - 1 Cup
2. Tamarind Juice (Thin) - 1 Cup
3. Jaggery - 1/2 tsp
4. Oil - 1/2 tbs
5. Salt - Needed Qty
For Spice Powder :
1. Pepper - 1/2 tsp
2. Cumin Seeds - 1/2 tsp
3. Channa Dhal - 1 tsp
4. Urad Dhal - 1/2 tsp
5. Red Chilly - 2 or Adjust to your taste
Dry roast all the above ingredients and grind to a coarse powder.
To Temper :
1. Mustard - 1 tsp
2. Curry Leaves - A Few
3. Oil - 1 tsp
Heat oil. Splutter mustard. Add curry leaves. Switch off the stove. Keep aside.
1. Take oil in a pan. Add onion and saute till it turns transparent.
2. Add tamarind water, salt and jaggery. Allow the contents to boil well.
3. Add the spice powder. Mix once and keep in medium flame for about 5 minutes.
4. Pour the seasoning over the cooked contents.
5. Serve hot with pongal / upma.
You may be interested in :