This traditional dish is a very famous one in Chettinad marriages. I learnt this from my neighbour who actually hails from Karaikudi. I have already posted my Mom's version of Rava Ukkarai / Sooji Halwa. This dhal ukkarai is a healthy dessert for kids, as the channa dhal and moong dhal are good source of protein and jaggery is rich in iron.
1. Channa Dhal / Bengalgram - 1 Cup
2. Moong Dhal / Greengram - 1/2 Cup
3. Jaggery - 1.5 Cup (Powdered)
4. Water - 3/4 Cup
5. Ghee - 3/4 Cup
6. Cardamom - 2 Pods (Crushed)
7. Nuts - 1 tbs (broken)
8. Coconut - 1 tbs (Grated)
1. Combine jaggery and water. Bring to boil. Once the jaggery is completey dissolve, cool and then filter. Keep aside.
2. Soak channa dhal and moong dhal separately for 2 hours.
3. Grind both the dhal separately to a coarse consistency (like sooji). Keep aside.
4. Take 1/2 cup of ghee in a pan. Put the ground dhal. Medium the flame. Keep stirring till the dhal is cooked well.
5. Add jaggery syrup. Mix well. Keep in low flame for sometime.
6. Add coconut, ghee roasted cashew and cardamom. Mix the ingredients well.
7. Add the remaining ghee before you switch off the stove.