Today, Nithu's Kitchen completes 5 years! You can read the milestones of Nithu's Kitchen for the last four years here.
Important Milestones for the Period of 13th Oct, 2013 - 13th Oct, 2014 :
Nithu's Kitchen Worked With :
Nithu's Kitchen had the opportunity to work with MagicKart(a online shop that sells cookware, bakeware and other Kitchen appliances. (http://www.nithubala.com/2014/01/arachuvitta-parangi-pinju-baby-pumpkin.html)
Stories(Tamil) Published in Magazines :
Recipes Published in Magazines :
To celebrate the occasion, I have a very famous sweet from North Arcot. This sweet is called Arcot Sweet or Makkan Peda. This is prepared with sweetless khoa & Maida.
For Peda :
1. Sugarless Khoa – 1 Cup
2. Maida (All Purpose Flour) - 1/2 Cup
3. Cooking Soda – A Pinch
4. Yogurt - 3/4 Cup
5. Ghee - 1 tbs
6. Grated Mixed Nuts - 1/4 Cup
7. Oil - Needed for Frying
For Sugar Syrup :
1. Sugar – 2 Cups
2. Water - 2 Cups
Add sugar and water in a deep pan. Bring to boil. Switch off the stove, when the syrup is sticky and thick.
1. In a large bowl, combine khoa, maida and cooking soda.
2. Add yogurt and ghee. Knead to a soft and non sticky dough. Let the dough sit for atleast an hour.
3. Now, make small balls. Make a small hole in the centre of the dough ball, stuff with nuts and then again roll it in to smooth ball. Gently flatten.
4. Follow the same procedure until you finish the dough.
5. Heat oil in a pan.
6. Fry Pedas on medium heat till they become dark brown in colour.
7. Drain oil and then gently drop in the warm sugar syrup.
8. Let the pedas be soaked in syrup for atleast 8 hours or over night.
9. Remove makkan peda from syrup and then serve garnished with nuts.